- Windows 7
Microsoft Dynamics CRM Custom Reports and Dashboards
System administrators can adapt Microsoft Dynamics CRM to fit the needs of their business organizations. Using the customization capabilities of Microsoft Dynamics CRM, you can:
- Create new Microsoft Dynamics CRM entities, attributes, and application forms without custom programming.
- Customize forms and views for enhanced integration with other Web applications, portals, and business systems.
- Apply form validation and add client-side business logic through scripting.
Reports can be owned by the system or by individual users. System reports are available to all users. Reports owned by individual users can be shared with specific colleagues or teams, or can be made available to the organization so that all users can use them.
All default Microsoft Dynamics CRM reports and all reports created using the Report Wizard are Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services reports. In addition, reports can also be:
- Web link
- Static files
- Dynamic files that read data from the Microsoft Dynamics CRM database such as Microsoft Office files, Reporting Services reports, or reports created with other ODBC-compliant reporting tools.
For each report, you can edit the report properties, including:
- The type of report
- The file name or URL
- The display name
- The description Information about where the report is displayed in the user interface.
All reports read Microsoft Dynamics CRM data from filtered views, which filter the data based on the user's security role. Reports only display data that the person running the report has permission to view.
Options for Creating New Reports
To create a new report, users with appropriate permissions can:
- Add a file or a link to a Web page as a report.
- Run the Report Wizard to create a new Reporting Services report. The Report Wizard can create table and chart reports, including drill-through reports and top N reports.
- Write a new report using Reporting Services, Microsoft Office, or another ODBC-compliant reporting tool. Creating a new Reporting Services report requires a report development environment. More information: Create and Work with Reports, Write a Report Using Report-Writing Tools
When you connect to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM database to write your own report, you must use the filtered views to ensure data security. Filtered views exist for all record types. When a new record type is created, a new filtered view is automatically created.
Options for Modifying Existing Reports
For existing reports, users with appropriate permissions can:
- Organize reports into categories to control which views in the Reports area display each report.
- Determine where a report is visible in the user interface, and edit other properties of the report.
- Edit a report created with the Report Wizard.
- Edit a default report. For example, if you customize Microsoft Dynamics CRM, you might need to modify labels or add or remove fields in default reports. Editing a default report requires a report development environment. More information: Create and Work with Reports, Writing Reporting Services Reports (Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK)
- Edit the default filter for a default report, a report created with the Report Wizard, or other Reporting Services reports.
- Create a one-time snapshot for a Reporting Services report or schedule a Reporting Services report to run at set intervals.
- Share a personal report with other users, or make it available to everyone in your organization.
- Publish a report so that it is available for use with external applications such as Microsoft SharePoint or custom programs.
Please Contact Us or call us at 888-774-4653 if you have any questions or concerns.